Did you know that...

  • ...about 90 U.S. crops depend on bees for pollination?
  • ...many hives are trucked from region to region for pollination purposes?
  • ...honeybee health is threatened by, among other things, mites?

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Beez Neez

I'll be checking in at The Beez Neez in Snohomish tomorrow with the masses. The truckload of package bees is, more than likely, working its way north from California as we speak.

Usually, about 1:00 pm I arrive to join the lines of local beekeepers there to pick up their packages. All in the high hopes of the ultimate prize - the honey!

Jim and Rachael, the shop owners will be there scurrying about in their white beekeeper suits trying to keep everyone happy while they field questions and collect money.

Fortunately, I've already paid for my bees in full and will therefore get to stand in what's usually a somewhat shorter line. This should expedite my exit from the mob so I can run home with my 12 pounds of new bees and get started hiving them right away.

Thanks to Global Warming, I'm sure it will be an extra sunny day and the bees will be able to take their leisure getting inside their new digs.

It's always a good time hiving bees. A fascinating process that the family seems to enjoy watching, along with any courageous visitors that may pop in for the festivities. When it's all said and done, I'll be sure to let you know how it went this year.

Signing off,

Bees Keeper

No comments: