Did you know that...

  • ...about 90 U.S. crops depend on bees for pollination?
  • ...many hives are trucked from region to region for pollination purposes?
  • ...honeybee health is threatened by, among other things, mites?

Friday, April 11, 2008

Very First Post!

Well, what a day! It finally feels like spring. The sun's shining on beehives and the girls are out stretching their wings. Hallelujah for Global Warming or we'd probably be under five feet of snow still here in the middle of this Seattle April!

Having never blogged before, this is an invigorating experience. I guess you're just supposed to type and get it all out there. Let 'er rip, eh? I guess we'll just see how that works.

I've heard it said that the definition of a "bore" is a person who has nothing to say...and says it. I'm sure I won't have something for everyone, but I'll do my best not to be a bore.

You may have guessed, I'm a beekeeper. I have three new four-pound packages coming next Wednesday to replace at least some of the colony strength I lost over the winter. Normally, I run about eight hives and in fact, that's the number with which I went into the winter. Came out with three.

Although Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) is obviously a huge concern these days, my losses this year were not to that. I know where all my bees are. They're either happily re-populating the hives or they're laying on the bottom boards - dead.

Yes, to date I've been fortunate not to have had any of my bees simply disappear. I can definitely wait for that day. No fun. Especially, if you're livelihood is dependent on those rascals.

In future posts, I intend to talk about what can be done - besides turning off our cell phones - to help the plight of the honeybee. I hope you'll join in!

Signing off,

Bees Keeper

No comments: